Saturday, September 25, 2010

Grandma Patty Got a Cake (click photo to enlarge).

I wanted to make my mom a birthday cake, but knew she didn't want a full-sized cake.  I also had 2 other cakes that week and didn't have a lot of spare time.  Molly (my 12 year old daughter/baby genius) came up with the idea of doing a "mini" tiered cake.  This was a 6" torted bottom tier and a 4" torted top tier.  Each layer was white almond sour cream cake filled with whipped vanilla bean buttercream filling.  The entire cake was iced in butter cream then covered with chocolate ganache and chocolate covered fresh strawberries.  Just for kicks, I piped on a giant border of a whipped version of the chocolate ganache.  I wish I filled these cakes with chocolate ganache, but I didn't think about that until it was too late.  I want to try that and can never remember to do it.  I didn't make time to take a great photo of this cake, I just snapped a picture of it on the kitchen table before we ran out the door with it (taking it down to my mom's house).  I wish I had taken a better photo - and I also wish I had taken a picture of the inside when we cut it, because the inside was prettier than the outside.  Happy birthday, Momma! 

1 comment:

  1. that caught my eye for sure an was looking around for a 2yr old cake an noticed this yummy wana have a taste of kinda cake! nyc job ladys sounded DELICIOUS! what a luky MoM! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...