Saturday, September 25, 2010

James Turned 2 with a Choo-Choo Cake! (Click photos to enlarge.)

Making this cake might have been the most fun I've ever had making a cake.  This experience was exactly what cake decorating is about.  I didn't break a sweat, I didn't pitch any hissy fits, I didn't curse out loud.  (I didn't even curse under my breath.)  While my family was busy with school work in the evenings this week, Gary grading papers and Molly doing homework, I sat at the kitchen table and made a train out of Rice Krispy treats.  Playing in fondant is theraputic.  It's better than a book or the t.v. or the internet.  On top of the fun fondant work involved with making this cake, I loved that it was only one tier.  I also loved that it was finished in a joyful shade of sky blue buttercream.  I had a blast making the trees, the trunks, the hills, the rocks for the tunnel (totally stolen idea), the railroad sign (totally stolen idea), the flowers, the tiny apples.  Thanks to Nichole Patrick for the inspiration cake.  Triple layers of white almond sour cream torted and filled with whipped vanilla bean buttercream.  Everything on the cake is completely edible.  Happy birthday little James!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...