Sunday, December 12, 2010

Libby Lane's Circus Cake! (Click photos to enlarge.)

My favorite cakes in the world are ones that I'm given free reign on.  The mother of the birthday girl gave me a list of things she wanted, and then let me go nuts.  I loved making this cake and had a blast with it for 55 wonderful (exhausting!) hours.  Thanks to all the wonderful cakers at www.cakecentral.com who so willingly offer to share their cake photos, their ideas, their advice, and their friendship.  This cake was inspired by many of them, including a puppy by my hero, Lorraine McKay, and a baby lion designed by a user named "dragonflydoces."  Cake is 10"/8"/6" white almond sour cream with Madagascar vanilla bean filling and icing and all fondant decorations.  Fondant work included Dumbo on top, Timothy Q Mouse with marching jacket and hat with feather holding up "Libby Lane" banner, 3 clowns, a seal, 2 tigers, a lion, a monkey, a doggy and his hoop of fire, 6 train cars, 5 balloons, 3 hats, 6 neck collars, 40 banners, 8 tassels, 40 stripes, and over 100 balls. Hmmmm, I think that's it. All fondant and all edible except 2 wires (1 holding the "Libby Lane" banner and 1 holding up the rogue balloon on the 2nd tier). This thing was so heavy!  When I got the call that it was safely displayed at the birthday party, I nearly melted with relief!







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...