Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wild Grinders Cake - Featuring Emo Crys and Meaty the Bulldog (click photos to enlarge)

It's been a weird few weeks.  I keep getting these mystery cake requests, where people ask me to make cakes based on things I've never seen or heard of before!  While I confess this is exciting, it does leave me all by myself, alone out in the big cruel cake world with nobody's work to turn to for inspiration or guidance.  So this week, I had another of these requests.  This time for a "Wild Grinders"-themed cake. I had never heard of the show before, but PTL for Google!  I ran to Youtube and watched videos to become familiar with the scenery and the characters for my design. I ended up featuring "Emo Crys" (at the request of the birthday boy),  his skateboard (which I made interactive so said birthday boy could play with it), "Meaty" the bulldog, the show's city skyline, and miscellaneous "urban"/skatepark paraphernalia. I've never been able to make a character stand up before, and barely did it this time.  There is obviously a trick to this and my mission this week is to go forth, deep into the bowels of the intraweb, and FIND THE #$%! SOLUTION.  Happy 5th birthday to Hayden, an utterly gorgeous kid who I got to meet briefly when I delivered this cake.  Although he seemed somewhat nonchalant about the cake - he did seem to want to touch that skateboard pretty bad - and that made me happy in my heart. Man, I hope when he got home, his mom let him roll that thing all over the house.  Then eat it.  Ew.  (Unless you're 5, that's kinda gross.)  White almond sour cream, vanilla bean filling and icing, fondant decor. Crys and the palm were doweled, but everything was 100% edible, as always.

1 comment:

  1. Peggy, Thank you So much for Hayden's cake!! It was as wonderful to eat as it was to look at! Hayden still has his Emo Crys and he plans on eating him on his actual birthday (Feb. 16th). We are beyond grateful and impressed by your work. We will be repeat customers.
    Thanks again,
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...