Saturday, August 20, 2011

Meg's Wizard of Oz Cake!

Now that I’m in my 2nd year of cake decorating, I’m experiencing something new – repeat business.  

I made little Meg’s “princess” themed cake last year (see it here) and recently I was asked to do this year's cake - with a “Wizard of Oz” theme. Right away I began to think of all the cool stuff I could put on this cake - the ruby slippers, the emerald city, spooky "bad witch" legs poking out from under a shattered house, glittery "good witch" pinkness, munchkins, lollipops, a little dog in a basket...

My cakey bakey brain was immediately slammed into overdrive. Actually, I had been fantasizing about making a Wizard of Oz cake (yes, sadly, that's what I fantasize about), so this request was kind of like winning the lottery for me. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to come up with a more clever theme, although last night someone asked me if I had ever made a "Gone With the Wind" cake, so yeah, that's a pretty close tie. 

Cake was WASC with vanilla butter cream filling and icing. All décor is fondant and everything is 100% edible.  Yes, I need practice with my fondant characters. I can make an excellent monkey; but it's a crying shame that all my fondant people end up looking like monkeys!  I suppose as long as you can tell who they're supposed to be, it's ok.  I'd just rather knock it out of the park every time, and I know that if my "Dorothy" were sitting on a shelf, far away from a cake, it would take some great stretch of the imagination to be able to guess correctly who she was. Ha!

Luckily, her ruby red slippers give it away.  I wanted to give her slippers a bigger high heel (although you can't see it, they DO have a heel), but really, these things were about a 1/2" long and it becomes difficult and a bit silly at that size to get too particular.

Oven’s on – I’ll be back soon.

~ Peggy
 

2 comments:

  1. Did I just read 2 YEARS Decorating??? NO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Donna, I started in April 2010, so about 16 months.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...