Monday, August 20, 2012

Recipe: Crusting American Butter Cream: My favorite Chocolate Frosting Recipe!


Ingredients:
8 ounces (2 sticks) SALTED butter
3 - 4 ounces semisweet chocolate (nicest quality you can justify) 
2 tablespoons light corn syrup 
16 ounces (1 pound) confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar) 
Liquid for thinning (see Step 5. below)

Directions:
Step 1.  Using the paddle blade, cream butter until it’s very light in color. 

Step 2:  Melt chocolate carefully over double boiler or in microwave, being careful to not let it get too hot. 

Step 3:  Mix corn syrup into cooled (melted) chocolate and add mixture to creamed butter. 

Step 4:  Mix well and add powdered sugar straight from the bag or box. No need to sift. Continue mixing.

Step 5:  Add milk, half and half, or heavy whipping cream until you reach desired consistency. I typically add 1 tablespoon of skim milk at a time until I have “nearly” the consistency I want and then I add a dash or 2 (or 3 or 4) of heavy whipping cream. 

This frosting is so lush and delicious. It crusts beautifully and you can use the Viva method to smooth it. I love the silky smoothness of chocolate Swiss meringue for a filling, but to me, this icing can’t be beat for frosting the outside a cake.  It does NOT need to be refrigerated once it's on the cake, but I refrigerate the leftover icing for a few days. If I don't use it within a couple days, I freeze it.  It freezes well.  Just let it come to room temperature and give it a quick whip with your mixer.

Here is a cake I smoothed with this icing and a Viva towel:


And here are a couple other super easy techniques, the swirly rose from i.am.baker (find the tutorial HERE):

 
And the stacked ruffle technique from Sweet and Saucy (find the video tutorial HERE):



I'd love to hear from you if you try this and would like to leave a comment!

Oven's on, I'll be back soon! 

~ Peggy

25 comments:

  1. I was just wondering if you could tell me how much a stick of butter weighs. I am from Australia and we don't get sticks of butter. Super excited to try this recipe though. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samara, one stick weighs 4 oz or approximately 125 grams. There are 4 sticks of butter to a pound in the U.S.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Laura! Precisely! And Samara, you can always Google this kind of thing if you don't get the answers you need fast enough. There are loads of virtual converters for this stuff. That's what I just did to find the answer for you (in grams).

      Delete
  2. Thanks Peggy. Would like to know if there is a substitute for corn syrup in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just posted this on my FB page, since this has been a big question: For those asking about corn syrup, I've read a bit on this (Google, ladies!) and it seems golden syrup is a fine replacement - and healthier. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hoping I can help - a stick of butter is 8 tablespoons or half a cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I've added that to the recipe now.

      Delete
  4. Peggy, why salted vs unsalted butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my taste preference. Feel free to use unsalted. I use unsalted in Swiss and Italian meringue butter cream, but salted in American butter creams.

      Delete
    2. I have gotten into the habit of using unsalted, but adding 0.25 tsp of salt to the mix (per 1 lb. sugar). I have noticed that different brands of salted butter have different salt contents, so this keeps things consistent.

      I have also noticed that different brands have different water/fat contents and that my addition of liquid varies depending one what I use. I like that Peggy doesn't specify an exact amount here. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks, I will have to try this, it looks delicious!! Since you mentioned chocolate swiss meringue, do you have a recipe for that, if you don't mind sharing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's here on the blog. Just use the search field for recipes and you'll find it. I'll do a better job of sorting the blog out one day!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it!!!, but is this the icing recipe you used for the swirl rose and ruffle technique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's why I wrote that above and used the photos. Same exact icing!

      Delete
  7. Two sticks butter is one packet

    ReplyDelete
  8. a stick of butter is 4 ounces (1/4 pound)

    A substitute for corn syrup is Glucose

    You can use salted butter is that is all you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use salted butter in this recipe. I've heard a better substitute for corn syrup is golden syrup.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the recipe. Can't wait to try it. I was wondering, if you use heavy cream or half and half does the cake have to be refrigerated once it is frosted? Or does it matter? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you give us your recipe for swiss meringue? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swiss meringue picture tutorial and recipe are already here on the blog!

      Delete
  11. I would love to try the Viva method but alas we cannot get Viva plain here in New Zealand :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever covered this frosting with fondant? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just got the chance to try this today. SO GOOD!! Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...