Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pink Pink Pink Pink Pink and more Pink (click photo to enlarge).

This was as "last minute" as a cake can be!  I only had about a week's notice on this cake, which is really weird since I'm usually booking cakes a few months out.  I was so happy I was able to make room for it!  I referred to it all week long as my "pink nightmare," because there were 4 degrees of pink fondant all over the place for days on end!  Although the cake was full of miniscule details (which I LOVE!), I was a bit saddened that I had very little artistic freedom with it.  I was asked to copy a picture someone gave me and to try not to take any liberties with the design if I could control myself.  (Which, if you know me at all, you know that sometimes I just can't control myself.)  At the time I first wrote this blog entry, I didn't know who the original designer of the cake was - but the caking community is a very close-knit one, and I soon found out it was a lady from Virginia who goes by "Jan14grands" on Cake Central.  Her work is honest-to-God amazing and my cake didn't hold a candle to her original design.  In fact, I told the lady who asked me to make this cake that the only way I would even attempt this cake was if I could cut out certain "high difficulty level" elements:  the fondant border, the quote that was piped on the side, and the second bow.  Due to that short notice thing I mentioned earlier, she was just so grateful to find someone who was willing to make it for her that she quickly agreed.  This cake was white almond sour cream with plain-Jane vanilla filling and icing. All decorations are homemade marshmallow fondant and completely edible.  I'm indebted to the wonderful members of http://www.cakecentral.com/ for their support and for all the wonderful ideas that are inspired by those folks.  We have the best community of bakers anywhere in the world there. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...